We are currently recruiting a Senior Data Engineer / Developer, this position will see you play a critical role in the delivery of our enterprise products and services to our large and growing global customer base.
As a member of the Data Services team, you will be expected to work closely with colleagues in Software Engineering, Product Management, Platform Engineering and Architecture. You must be able to work as part of a team or independently and be able to effectively prioritise work items. This is an opportunity to work within an extremely dynamic environment and the role expects you to be efficient and engaging. You will have the opportunity to have a direct influence on day to day operations, driving automation and delivering data to internal and external customers.
You will be responsible for delivering secure, resilient, high availability SQL Server environments; you will be involved in the design and architecture of SQL Server environments required to deliver and sustain our portfolio of online services.
In addition, as the business moves its data platforms to cloud offerings such as AWS you will have exposure to SQL Server as a part of Amazon RDS or on hosted virtual machines. This will include integration with native AWS data services and the opportunity to work with native AWS Analytics capabilities. Experience in these areas are a distinct advantage.
- Contribute to the design, build and operational management of highly scalable, secure and available SQL Server environments that enable MetaPack SaaS platforms to operate 24×7
- Follow Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery best practice regarding tools, methodologies and automated workflow / build pipelines to enable test and promote code across the different environments and into production with maximum velocity. Contribute to the evolution of this best practice
- Work tirelessly to reduce or remove bottlenecks and inefficiencies in MetaPack’s SQL Server environments
- In collaboration with software engineering and colleagues in Technical Operations work to reduce or eliminate manual or repetitive tasks
- Mentor more junior colleagues regarding SQL Server and related technologies
- Architect and design solutions with the team based around requirements for historic and real-time data gathering and reporting provided by the Product Owner and Product Management
- Deliver solutions that scale to very high data volumes
- Work with Engineering and QA teams on solution design, capacity planning and performance
- Provide expertise as to how to Implement and enforce security within the solutions designed
- Collaboration with Scrum Teams in accordance with the adopted process:
a) Participation in meetings (stand-ups, sprint planning and retrospectives and other)
b) Estimation and execution of planned tasks
Key Skills required
- Experience in a Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery environment with a passion for automation
- Excellent knowledge of SQL Server databases; with a minimum of 7 years operational experience
- Excellent skills with SQL Server tools such as SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Server Reporting Services, SQL Server Data Tools and Visual Studio
- Experience of either AWS or Azure
- Opportunities to design and build cloud based, big data solutions across RDBMS, NOSQL datastores
- Experience working in an Agile / Scrum environment
- Excellent knowledge of how SQL Server operates in a clustered setup across a WAN
- Excellent knowledge of physical database design particularly with regard to ‘Big Data’
- A thorough understanding of best practice for development, including source control, automated deployment and promotion to production
- A good knowledge of SQL Server security management
- Able to perform both SQL Server and OS performance monitoring and necessary adjustments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The capacity to lead, enthuse and mentor junior colleagues
- Must be calm and work well under pressure
- Proven ability to work independently; deploying and troubleshooting systems
- Analytical by nature to troubleshoot and solve complex System Engineering problems
- Experience supporting high availability systems and scalable architectures
- Excellent internal customer service, communication, and coordination
- Ideally MCSE Certified (BI or Data Platform)
So why work at MetaPack, with year-on-year growth of 40% over the last 5 years, and with further growth planned, there has never been a better time to join us on our journey as we further cement our place as the number one global player in the industry.
If you are interested please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please attach your CV in your email to email@example.com