We are currently recruiting an Oracle DBA within our Platform Engineering team at MetaPack, this role will see you play a critical role in the delivery of our enterprise products and services to our large and growing global customer base. Our platform runs Oracle, MySql, Ms Sql Server and to a lesser extent Postgres. These are run within AWS/Azure and co-lo datacentres. We employ a variety of orchestration technology to manage these systems.
The Technical Operations team at MetaPack are responsible for the end to end health of our systems and services that are required to be available 24×7. You will have direct communication lines to solution architects and software engineers operating in an agile environment to drive availability, performance and security of our environment.
Being a member of the MetaPack Technical Operations team, you will be expected to work closely with colleagues in Software Engineering, Product Management and Architecture. You must be able to work as part of a team or independently and be able to effectively prioritise work items. This is an opportunity to work within an extremely dynamic environment and the role expects you to be efficient and engaging. You will have the opportunity to have a direct influence on day to day operations, driving automation and the transition of our Oracle ecosystem to cloud service providers.
As a DBA in MetaPack, you will be responsible for delivering a secure, resilient, highly available environment; you will be involved in the design and architecture of the environment required to deliver and sustain our portfolio of online services and you will be responsible for the build and configuration of tools to enable automated management and monitoring of our environments.
If you are passionate about driving continuous improvement in a high volume, high impact environment we are offering a unique opportunity to develop your career as an integral part of our Technical Operations team.
- Contribute to the design, build and operational management of a highly scalable, secure and available Database environment that enables the MetaPack SaaS platform to operate 24×7
- Ensure that the MetaPack Oracle environment is secure and can scale rapidly to support growth in transaction volumes during periods of peak business. Limit or eliminate exposure to single points of failure
- Create tools and automated workflow capabilities to enable our software engineers to test and promote code across the different environments and into production with maximum velocity
- Work tirelessly to reduce or remove bottlenecks and inefficiencies in the MetaPack Oracle environment
- In collaboration with software engineering and colleagues in Technical Operations work to reduce or eliminate manual or repetitive tasks
- You will work with your colleagues to improve the end to end health and performance of the Oracle environment
- Work with Engineering and QA teams on solution design, capacity planning and performance
- Provide support during out of hours and on call as required by the business
- You will provide hands on support to the software engineering teams during each sprint to enable the migration of services through to transition from non-production environments into live
- Creation and maintenance of all Oracle databases required for development, testing and production use
- Perform ongoing performance tuning of the database environments
- Plan and implement backup and recovery of Oracle databases
- Implement and enforce security for all of the Oracle databases
- Perform database re-organisations as required to assist performance and ensure maximum uptime
Key Skills required
- Excellent knowledge of Oracle databases; with a minimum of 3 years operational experience
- Excellent knowledge of Oracle backup and recovery scenarios
- Familiarity with physical standby databases and failover
- Good skills in Oracle tools
- Good knowledge of physical database design
- A good knowledge of Oracle security management
- A good knowledge of how Oracle acquires and manages resources
- Able to perform both Oracle and OS performance monitoring and necessary adjustments
- Familiarity with running Oracle on Linux, or Unix systems
- Good understanding of shell scripting
- Any familiarity with cloud based technologies, such as AWS, would be useful
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be calm and work well under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to work independently; deploying and troubleshooting systems
- Analytical by nature to troubleshoot and solve complex System Engineering problems
- Experience supporting high availability systems and scalable architectures
- Have experience in an internet operational environment, including multiple data centres and hybrid private and public cloud architectures
- Experience in large database operation environment
- Experience in AWS or an alternative cloud provider
- Experience in service management process and practices such as ITIL a plus
- Experience working in an Agile / Scrum environment
- Experience in a continuous delivery environment
So why work at MetaPack, with year-on-year growth of 40% over the last 5 years, and with further growth planned, there has never been a better time to join us on our journey as we further cement our place as the number one global player in the industry.
If you are interested please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please attach your CV in your email to email@example.com